How-to: edgy and glamorous party look
There’s something about New Year’s Eve that makes you feel special. Maybe it’s the fireworks, maybe it’s the champagne, or maybe it’s the endless possibilities that a new year holds. Whatever it is, New Years Eve is a time when you want to look as wonderful as you feel.
And so you should, which is why we asked international hair stylist and make-up artist Sina Velke to shed some light on a make-up look that’s equal parts fierce, fabulous and gorgeous.
Behold: Cameron Diaz in her film, The Counsellor. According to Sina, the artful eyeliner is perfect for the party season. Plus, the natural base and lips will suit an Australian summer by not looking too heavy.
Here are her tips for achieving this natural-meets-edgy look:
1. Prep your face with moisturiser, eye cream and lip balm. Try: Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Cream.
2. Dot a natural foundation that suits your skin tone on your forehead, cheeks, chin and nose. Blend it in with a foundation brush over your entire face.
Tip: don't forget your jaw-line. Blend the foundation evenly over your jaw and down your neck. Try: Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche Éclat.
3. Using some concealer, cover dark circles around your eyes and any spots you may have. Choose a shade that’s slightly lighter than your foundation. Blend in your concealer and foundation with your foundation brush for an even finish. Try: Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat.
4. Dust a translucent powder over your face to set your make-up and help control shine. Try: Yves Saint Laurent Poudre Sur Mesure Semi-Loose Powder Natural Radiance.
5. Use a light contouring powder to enhance your features. Use it under your cheekbone, your chin and jaw bone, and along your temples. Try: Benefit Hoola.
6.Choose a fresh rose blush and apply it on your cheeks. Try: Bobbi Brown Blush in Pink Rose.
7. Use a brow pencil to fill in your eyebrows and to give them a more defined shape. Try Maybelline New York Define-A-Brow Pencil.
8. Apply a matte, beige eyeshadow onto your entire lid. This creates a perfect base for the graphic eyeliner. Try: MAC Eyeshadow in Omega.
9. Use a liquid eyeliner to create a graphic line. Apply the liner as close as possible on your upper and lower lash line. Draw small flicks at the outside and inner corner of the eye. The flick on the outside corner should go up, while the flick on the inside corner should go down. Try: Yves Saint Laurent Eyeliner Effet Faux Cils Shocking Felt-Tip Eyeliner Pen.
11. Apply double layers of mascara on both your upper and lower lashes. This will help to put the focus your eyes. Try: Maybelline New York Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara.
12. Apply a grey eyeliner on your inner waterline to give your eyes extra intensity. Try: MAC Eye Kohl in Phone Number.
13. To finish off, tap a light rose/nude coloured lipstick on your lips. Try: MAC Lipstick in Pure Zen.
14. Let the party begin!
Oh, and an added bonus for this look: it won’t clash with whatever you choose to wear. Hooray!
For more from Sina Velke, check out her website.
How will you wear your make up this New Year’s Eve? Do you like the edginess this graphic liner gives a natural make-up look?
Have you tried any of the products mentioned above?
Review them now to earn points that you can swap for free beauty products in RewardsRoom.