How-to: look all sultry and sophisticated
In my eyes, there are just two Hollywood starlets that never put a foot wrong in the beauty stakes – Leighton Meester and Camilla Belle. Maybe it’s because I share their colouring (and that’s pretty much where the similarities end!) and consequently admire their style, but I just can’t get enough of the make-up and hair looks they continue to sport.
Take this image of Ms Belle for instance. She is the picture of sophistication, without appearing 10 years older than she actually is, which is often a mean feat in itself!
Want to achieve a similar look? Simply follow these steps:
1. Use a matte foundation to eliminate shine (we love bareMinerals Matte Foundation) or, if you don’t have one, you can always dust some finishing powder over your regular foundation for a similar effect.
2. For a hint of extra complexion colour and radiance, opt for a light blush or bronzer that can be built up to achieve your desired intensity. We love Clinique Almost Bronzer SPF 15, and Bourjois Mineral Radiance Powder in Rose Clair.
3. The eyes can be kept simple with just a light wash of colour. For this subtle nighttime look, choose a loose powder eyeshadow that’s not too pigmented, but will smooth on easily. We like blending Adorn Matte Eye Shadows in Topaz and Quartz for this look.
4. Next, take to just your top lashes with a good, volumising mascara. Kryolan Volumising Mascara is our pick!
5. Fill in any gaps in your brows with Benefit Instant Brow Pencil – we love it because it goes on like a creamy pencil, but leaves a soft and natural powder-like finish.
6. To finish, apply a light-coloured, creamy lipstick to your pout. Go for an earthy hue that won’t look too overdone (like Clinique Colour Surge Butter Shine Lipstick in Baby Baby) and you’re sure to have the sultry yet sophisticated look down pat.
How do you achieve a sophisticated make-up look?