Show your hair you care
You’d think that as my fringe got longer and longer and my vision more and more impaired I’d actually think about going to have it cut.
The thing is I’m really lazy when it comes to my locks. So much so that I find it almost impossible to haul myself to the hairdresser every few weeks for what would be no more than a five-minute fringe trim. Instead, I choose to sit and watch it grow, hoping that by some miracle it will shorten itself. Needless to say it never does and I inevitably wind up desperately – and I’m mortified to admit this as a beauty editor – hacking away at it with the kitchen scissors just minutes before stepping out (beauties, do not try this at home!).
But with a new year comes a new me (well, at least in terms of my mane maintenance) so I’ve decided to try to stick to five hair commandments (yes, I know there are usually 10 but come on, I’m trying to be realistic here!). Here's what I’ve come up with:
1. Take a trip to the salon every 4 – 6 weeks for a trim, and at least once a month for fringe maintenance. Oh, and lock away the kitchen scissors!
2. Make the effort to spritz my strands with a heat protection spray like ghd thermal protector for normal-fine hair, before I use my hairdryer/straightener/curling tongs.
3. Spend an extra few seconds in the shower to properly rinse out my conditioner so I don’t have to suffer limp locks for the next two days.
4. Use a clarifying shampoo like Schwarzkopf Professional Essensity Clarifying Shampoo, every few weeks to avoid product build-up and leave my hair looking fresh and shiny.
5. Brush my hair (at times other than just when I’m washing it) to minimise knots and tangles, stimulate my scalp, and encourage natural oil production.
Are you lazy with your locks? What are your hair commandments?