It's all about the purple pout
You know what makes celebrities great? Having the ability to see them make fashion and beauty mistakes before we do, and reaping the benefits when they pull off a trend we wanted to love. They’re our personal guinea pigs, and every now and then, watching on anxiously as they dabble in a new trend really pays off.
Take Mel B for example, who caught the attention of a couple of make-up mad friends of mine when she was spotted in the X Factor judges seat rocking a purpley-pink lip that instantly caught our attention. Although the nicest of words may not make their way out of those lips, they sure did look good! We’d been tossing up the idea of purple lips for a while, so Mel’s demonstration was just the push we needed.
After a small hunt, I discovered that MAC was behind the stand-out lip hue – a shade called ‘Amp it up.’ Not traditionally a summer hue, I think perhaps that’s way I’m so drawn to it. Mixing it up and straying away from conventional pink and coral lip hues will ensure you stand out from the crowd, and will really help to showcase tanned skin, as well as add a colour focus to paler skins.
Top tips for rocking a purple lipstick…
- - Don’t stray too far from other colour. Teaming purple lips with a black outfit may seem necessary (as that’s is what we tend to do with other bright lip shades), but this can make you look a little gothic. Opt for other colours like pink, green and orange to brighten it up.
- - Just like you would with a red lip, apply your lipstick in layers so that the colour stays put for longer. Start with liner around your lips and then fill them in, apply a layer of lipstick before blotting off the excess and then repeat.
- - Keep your lipstick in your purse – you’ll be needing touch-ups throughout the day!
Best purple lipstick picks…
- - Rimmel London Moisture Renew Lipstick in Electric Plum
- - Ulta3 Matte Lipstick in Misty Mauve
- - Mavala Switzerland Mavalip Lipstick in Nagoya (212)
Which trend would you like to see a celebrity trial for you first?